Friday, April 6, 2007

happy helping---the who,the what and the why of journaling


I saw the question on a message board and thought I would share my method to the madness of journaling.
I am a firm believer that each page begs for a story. Sometimes just a snazzy title will do for those cute pics of your kids, but for the pics taken of places, things and events, details are needed.
From way back in high school English class, I have followed some simple steps. I call this little trick the who, the what and the why of journaling. Readers want questions answered and if the writing delivers them, it does more than make the story interesting but emotionally satisfying. After you jot down the answers and make full sentences with them, arrange them in order.
Following are some questions to get you started. Soon you will be using your own questions, tell the story the way you want.
Who is this person to you?
Who is this person in life?
What is happening in the picture?
What main thing do you want people to know about the subject?
What is in the background?
Why did you take this picture?
Why are you scrapping this picture?
Try it ---you will like it!

No comments: